The Adult Education Committee of Temple Emanu-El presents a myriad of programs for adults on Wednesday and Sunday mornings, as well as Monday afternoons and special events. Check the monthly calendar on this web site for dates and times or call the Temple Office for detailed information.
In addition, ongoing learning opportunities include:
- Torah Study – Discuss, debate and dispute – everyone and all perspectives welcome! No prior Torah study required. Shabbat mornings, 9:00 am beginning in October.
- Introduction to Hebrew – Alef Bet and Shalom Rav: Join one of our many fun and effective introductory Hebrew classes, designed for adult learners with or without any prior Hebrew studies. These small classes focus on siddur (prayer book) Hebrew and serve to increase Shabbat service familiarity. Scheduled on an on-going basis.
- Torah Chanting and Service Honours – Learn how to chant Torah or to be comfortable accepting any honour in our service (such as a Torah aliyah or chanting the Haftarah blessings) in small classes.
MONDAY FALL 2017 LECTURE SERIES 2 pm to 4 pm
Everyone is welcome to attend. The five-lecture subscription is free for members, $45 for nonmembers.
A single lecture is $15. Register by cheque and drop off at the Temple office.
- October 23, 2017, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm - 2017 FALL LECTURE SERIES — Tomorrow’s Weather: Warmer, Wetter and Wilder- David Phillips
- October 30, 2017, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm - 2017 FALL LECTURE SERIES - Canada's Founding Pillars Peter Russell
- November 6, 2017, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm - 2017 FALL LECTURE SERIES - The Global Refugee Crisis: Causes and Solutions Randall Hansen
- November 13, 2017, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm - 2017 FALL LECTURE SERIES - Music and the Third Reich. Simon Wynberg
In addition to the Lecture Series, there will be Thursday Books and Biscotti reviews. These events will be open to nonmembers at a cost of $10. Please let your friends know they are welcome.
The biscotti (and other nibbles) will be on tables in the front lobby from 1-1:30; followed by a one-hour book review.
Copies of the books (titles below) may be reserved through the Temple office.
- October 26, 2017, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Books & Biscotti - Nutshell by Ian McEwan - Review by Janna Nadler
- November 9, 2017, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Books & Biscotti - The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck - Review by Elaine Newton
- March 8, 2018, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Books & Biscotti - Waking Lions by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen - Review by Harriet Morris
- April 26, 2018, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Books & Biscotti - Exit West by Mohsin Hamid -Review by Cathy Tile
- May 17, 2018, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Books & Biscotti - Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout - Review by Elaine Newton
- No Events