The Adult Education Committee of Temple Emanu-El presents a myriad of programs for adults on Wednesday and Sunday mornings, as well as Monday afternoons and special events. Check the monthly calendar on this web site for dates and times or call the Temple Office for detailed information.
In addition, ongoing learning opportunities include:
- Torah Study – Discuss, debate and dispute – everyone and all perspectives welcome! No prior Torah study required. Shabbat mornings, 9:00 am beginning in October.
- Introduction to Hebrew – Alef Bet and Shalom Rav: Join one of our many fun and effective introductory Hebrew classes, designed for adult learners with or without any prior Hebrew studies. These small classes focus on siddur (prayer book) Hebrew and serve to increase Shabbat service familiarity. Scheduled on an on-going basis.
- Torah Chanting and Service Honours – Learn how to chant Torah or to be comfortable accepting any honour in our service (such as a Torah aliyah or chanting the Haftarah blessings) in small classes.
MONDAY Fall 2018 LECTURE SERIES 2 pm to 4 pm
Everyone is welcome to attend. The five-lecture subscription is free for members, $45 for nonmembers.
A single lecture is $15. Register by cheque and drop off at the Temple office.
- October 15, 2018, 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm - FALL LECTURE SERIES - Tin Pan Alley and Broadway
- October 22, 2018, 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm - FALL LECTURE SERIES - Vision, Aging and the Brain
- October 29, 2018, 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm - FALL LECTURE SERIES - Manipulation and Integrity During the Cold War
- November 5, 2018, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm - FALL LECTURE SERIES - Why Dissent Matters (start time for this lecture is 2 pm)
- November 12, 2018, 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm - FALL LECTURE SERIES - Fighting Fair: Legal Ethics for an Adversarial Age
In addition to the Lecture Series, there will be Thursday Books and Biscotti reviews. These events will be open to nonmembers at a cost of $10. Please let your friends know they are welcome.
The biscotti (and other nibbles) will be on tables in the front lobby from 1-1:30; followed by a one-hour book review.
Copies of the books (titles below) may be reserved, by members, through the Temple office.
- October 4, 2018, 12:30 pm - 2:45 pm - Books & Biscotti - Remembering Roth - Review by Elaine Newton
- November 1, 2018, 12:30 pm - 2:45 pm - Books & Biscotti - Warlight by Micxhael Ondaatje - Review by Janna Nadler
- April 11, 2019, 12:30 pm - 2:45 pm - Books & Biscotti - The Girl Who Smiled Beads by Clemantine Warmariya - Review by Cathy Tile
- May 16, 2019, 12:30 pm - 2:45 pm - Books & Biscotti - An American Marriage by Tayari Jones - Review by Elaine Newton
- June 6, 2019, 12:30 pm - 2:45 pm - Books & Biscotti - TBA - Review by Elaine Newton
- October 14, 2018, 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm - Sunday Night at the Movies - October 14